Monday, July 11, 2011

Somewhat late Gratitude Sunday and post

Well, it's been a while, hasn't it? This past week has been a little bit crazy between the holiday and a thunderstorm that knocked out the cable modem, router and wireless adapter. It was a good reminder that technology is terribly fallible, but it was frustrating and expensive to fix, nonetheless.

In any case, I'm back, so let's get on with it, shall we?

What frustrates me the most these past few days is nothing to do with technology, and everything to do with nature. We had a problem earlier in the season with our pumpkin plants dying off. I asked a friend at work who's right up there with my mother on the green thumb scale, and she suggested it was where we'd planted them. The pumpkin patch is quite sandy (which is something I plan on working on over the winter with leaf mulch and whatever else I can find), so she suggested we up our watering. That seemed to work for a good, long while, but...

But now, they're at it again. My big, beautiful Musquee de Provence is on its way out. When my mother told me last night, I felt like crying. All of her plants look beautiful. The corn, beans, cucumber, tomatoes... but mine are all giving up. It makes a girl wonder what she did wrong, though if we're both right and it's bacterial wilt, there's really nothing we did to make it happen.

On top of that, I'm going to have to replace a rose bush next year. My climbing rose started out absolutely beautifully, but it's slowly dying off, helped along by rose virus and bugs. I'm so glad I planted it far, far away from the actual rose garden. All the others are looking fine and getting ready to go into their third or fourth bloom.

I keep telling myself that this is a learning process, and that Mother Nature will do what she does no matter what I think I know, ultimately. I'm not sure it's working.

On to the gratitude section, because that's all too depressing up there!:

I'm grateful, so grateful for...

-Having a spiritual epiphany one stormy night last week. It surprised me, but it shouldn't have, considering my slightly unconventional upbringing.

-The geeky employee at the store who helped me with my computer troubles. I was entirely lost, and he was sweet and calming.

-My cat. We are loyal servants to five of them, but "my" cat, my little feral tortoise shell who I was patient and stubborn enough to socialize as a little, scrappy thing is such a gem. She's a little weird, and goes through the most pronounced moods I think I've ever seen in a cat, but whenever I'm upset, she always seems to know and seek me out for cuddles. At the moment, she's sleeping outside of my door.

-My parents. I love them, even though I may not always be the best at saying it. I can't imagine having any others, and I'm sure I'd be terribly boring if I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment